- 10 large baking potatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 pound cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 9 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 pound white sharp cheddar, cubed
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 mild cheddar, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub the potatoes well and rinse under cool running water.
- Pat dry with paper towels and prick the potatoes in several places with a fork.
- Place the potatoes in the oven and back for 1 1⁄2 hours, or until tender.
- Remove from the oven and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- When the potatoes have cooled, cut each potato in half and, using a spoon, scoop the flesh out of the skins, leaving as little flesh as possible.
- Place the potato flesh in a large bowl and add 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of butter, the sour cream, heavy cream, salt and pepper and mash until chunky smooth.
- Add the bacon, cubed white cheddar, half of the grated cheddar, the green onion, and eggs and mix thoroughly
- Butter 9×13-inch casserole dish with the remaining butter and reduce the oven
temperate to 375 degrees.
- Place the seasoned potato mixture in the casserole dish and top with the remaining grated cheddar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until bubbly around the edges and the cheese on top is melted and lightly golden.
recipe: The Martins // photo: foodnetwork.com