Gumbo is a fish soup that originated from the south of Louisiana.
- 1/4 cup cooking fat
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups dark beef stock
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 chopped tomatoes
- 1 six-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 lbs. raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a pot, heat the cooking fat over a medium heat and cook the onions, green bell peppers and garlic for about 5 minutes, until the onions are soft.
- Stir in the stock, hot sauce, bay leaf, tomatoes, and tomato paste, season to taste and simmer for 45 minutes, uncovered.
- Add the shrimp and simmer for another 5 minutes, covered.
recipe and photo – paleoleap.com