adapted from recipe by: twopeasandtheirpod.com
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (one 1/4 oz packet) Active Dry Yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine warm water, yeast, and sugar. Stir and let sit until the yeast starts to foam and bubble, about 5-10 minutes.
- Using the dough hook, turn the mixer on low and slowly add half of the flour, olive oil, honey, and salt. When flour is combined, add the remaining flour. Once dough starts to form, increase speed to medium. Mix for 3-5 minutes, until dough is well combined.
- Remove the dough from the mixer and place on a floured counter. Knead a few times to form a ball. Dough should be smooth and shiny. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover loosely with a towel, and let rise for 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Roll dough into a 14 inch round. Place on a pizza pan or pizza stone. Spread with desired sauce and toppings. Bake for 16-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Remove pizza from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
Note-this pizza dough freezes well. To freeze, place dough in freezer bag after it rises, making sure you squeeze out all of the air. Thaw before using. Will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.