adapted from recipe by franklymydear.hubpages.com
This recipe is the ABSOLUTE BEST recipe I have ever been able to find for homemade biscuits and believe me, I’ve made a laundry list of them.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour [King Arthur 100% Organic]
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbs granulated sugar [raw turbinado]
- 1/3 cup of butter or shortening [Organic Valley]
- 1 cup of milk [almond milk]
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Cut in the butter/shortening — in other words, cut up the butter/shortening into cute little square pats and put them into the bowl. Then, mix in the butter/shortening (hands work best for this) until what’s in the bowl resembles coarse meal.
- Gradually stir in the milk until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. If your dough seems too sticky, add a tablespoon or two more flour. If it’s too dry, add more milk.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface (like your countertop).
- Knead the dough. You don’t want to over work it. Just until there are no sticky parts.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thickness. Use a round cookie cutter (or the rim of a glass if you’re fancy like me) to punch out the biscuits.
- Place the cut-outs onto a pizza stone or greased cookie pan.
- Place pan in the oven for 13 to 15 minutes, or until the tops and edges start to brown.