- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup sugar (see notes)
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (11 ounce) can super sweet corn, drained (see notes)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, sugar, white wine vinegar, chili powder, and salt.
- Add tomatoes, black-eyed peas, beans, corn, red onion, and bell peppers. Stir to combine.
- Stir in cilantro. Cover and chill at least 1 hour or overnight to blend flavors. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Top with avocado, if using, just before serving.
- Regular canned sweet corn or frozen corn may be substituted for the extra sweet corn. The closest measurement for either option is 3/4 cup, but feel free to use the whole 15-ounce can of corn.
- 1 sweet onion or a bunch of green onions may be substituted for the red onion.
- A single bell pepper may be substituted for the 1/2 cup each of chopped red and green bell peppers.
- If you think 1/4 cup sugar sounds like too much, feel free to use less. Perhaps add 1 tablespoon at a time.
photo and recipe: culinaryhill.com