adapted from recipe by thepioneerwoman.com
- 2 cans seasoned black beans
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil
- Drain, but do not rinse, the black beans. Place them in a bowl and use a fork to mash them. Keep mashing until they’re mostly broken up, but still have some whole beans visible. Add onion, egg, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir until everything is combined, then let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat a tablespoon or two of olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Form the bean mixture into patties slightly larger than the buns you’re using (the patties will not shrink when they cook.) Place the patties in the skillet and cook them about 5 minutes on the first side. Flip them to the other side,and continue cooking them for another 5 minutes, or until the burgers are heated through.