adapted from recipe by laurenslatest.com
- 1/4 cup softened butter [Organic Valley]
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar [raw turbinado]
- 1 tablespoon molasses [I substituted maple syrup]
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all purpose flour [King Arthur 100% Organic]
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg [I used a bit more cinnamon since I didn’t have nutmeg]
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup pecans + more for garnish, if desired
frosting [not so healthy, but oh so delicious]:
- 2 oz. softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mats and set aside.
- Cream butter, coconut oil, sugar and molasses together until completely smooth. Scrape sides and mix again briefly. Stir in vanilla and egg. Then stir in dry ingredients until just combined. Scrape sides and stir again briefly. Stir in carrot and nuts. Roll into balls and place onto prepared baking sheets and bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are brown and cookies have poofed up slightly in the center. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to cooling rack. Cool to room temperature.
- For the frosting, place all ingredients into a small bowl and whip until smooth. Spread each cookie generously with frosting and top with chopped pecans if desired.